1. For an instant bite of summer, make this sandwich. Even if you don’t have all of the right ingredients (I used tomatillos, yellow cucumbers and squash instead of heirloom tomatoes and omitted the capers) it’ll be delicious. I do want to go back and make it again with the right stuff, though.
2. Montréal is a beautiful city. Not a whole lot of photos to show for it, but Old Montréal at night is a site to be seen.
3. Lululemon offers complimentary hemming! Sweet deal, made even sweeter when you’re debating whether to purchase a heavily discounted pair of “Tall” pants.
4. For a sip of summer, try California Teas. Mixed with pure cane sugar instead of corn syrup or artificial sweeteners, they’re sweet but not too sweet. The company sent me seven teas to try; my favorites were the Summer Peach and Original Sunshine flavors.
5. Somehow, “I’m growing out my bangs” translated into “cut ‘em short and straight!” at the hair salon. I tried out a new place that takes walk-in clients, and somehow ended up with this hair. I don’t really care, I just thought I was done with this ‘do back in 2009. Whatevs.
Goal for 2011 update: Cook One New Recipe A Week
Week 1: Lemony Spaghetti with Bitter Greens & Chickpeas
Week 2: Lentil Chili
Week 3: Chickpeas in Star Anise & Date Masala
Week 4: Thai-Style Black Beans w/ Mango & Cilantro
Week 5: Ten Minute Tasty Asparagus & Brown Rice, Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cheddar and Toasted Almonds, Warm Red Lentil Salad, Garlicky Sesame-Cured Broccoli Salad.
Week 6: Beets, Spiced Quinoa & Yogurt, Sesame-Cooked Eggs Over Rice
Week 7: Curried Parsnip Fries
Week 8: Curried Lentils & Sweet Potatoes
Week 9: Rutabagas with Buckwheat, Black Beans & Kale, Garlicky Mushroom Greens
Week 10: Tamarind Lentils, The Double-Shift Scramble
Week 11: Spicy Chickpea Salad, Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze, Spicy Red Lentil, Peanut & Pumpkin Soup
Week 12: Sunday Night Supper Salad, Peanut Butter Banana-Berry French Toast Sandwich
Week 13: Grilled Cheddar-Mushroom Sandwich
Week 14: Black Bean Soup, Sweet Pumpkin Pudding
Week 15: Green Rice
Week 16: Matzoh Buttercrunch Candy, Quinoa with Moroccan Winter Squash and Carrot Stew
Week 17: Truffled Turnip Soup, Nutty Lemon Brussels Sprouts, Cookie Dough Smoothie
Week 18: Raw Chocolate Fudge Cake, Spring Pasta
Week 19: Chopped Kale w/ Hot Pepper Vinegar
Week 20: Ultimate Veggie Burgers, Mmm Sauce
Week 21: Ribbed Asparagus Salad with Lemon, Spinach & Chickpeas, Chocolate-Chip Blondies, Chocolate-Chip Cookie Dough Pancakes, Leek Zucchini Pasta Salad
Week 22: Sesame Ginger Kale Salad, Hoisin Ginger Tofu with Smoky Tahini Slaw
Week 23: Pan-Seared Asparagus Salad with Frisée and Fried Egg, Baked Ziti, Brown Butter Banana Strawberry Bread, Green Bowl
Week 24: Quinoa Cookies, Chocolate Mousse
Week 26: Sweet Potato Stuffed with Caramelized Tempeh and Sautéed Kale, Shaved Fennel Salad, Summer Pesto
Week 27: Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge
Week 28: Choco-holic Pancakes
Week 29: Green Israeli Couscous Salad
Week 30: Swiss Chard with Currants and Pine Nuts
Week 31: Babaganoush Soup, Freekeh Risotto, Brown Butter (Plum) Cake or Cobbler
Week 32: (Modified) Tomato Salad on a Roll
Catch me up! What are your five things for Monday?